Two new teledentistry options have come to Delta Dental PPO™ and Delta Dental Premier® plans. Say hello to Toothpic and Delta Dental – Virtual Consult.
Utilizing these options doesn’t require any changes to the way members use or pay for their benefits. Instead, it’s a new way for members to use existing plan benefits — remotely. These new tools are an ongoing covered benefit and have no additional administrative costs or access fees for Delta Dental clients or members.1 When members use either of these tools, they can rest easy knowing that they’ll be connected with a licensed Delta Dental dentist they can trust.
Toothpic is a secure HIPAA-compliant app that provides a photo-based virtual dental screening from anywhere you have a smart device and an internet connection. It’s perfect for those who want a dental checkup with a Delta Dental dentist without an appointment. Toothpic lets members:
- Get evaluations on their own schedule by submitting pictures of their mouth, teeth and gums
- Receive a personalized in-depth report from a Delta Dental dentist within 24 hours
- Check in for diagnoses on areas of concern and get info about their next steps
Virtual Consult is a secure HIPAA-compliant video-based tool for having a virtual appointment with a dentist. It’s ideal for those who have urgent oral care needs, like pain or a cracked or chipped tooth, and want to speak directly with a Delta Dental dentist. With Virtual Consult, members can:
- Schedule and have a video appointment with a Delta Dental dentist without leaving home
- Have quick, real-time consultations on urgent issues even if they don’t have a dentist they see regularly
- Get an e‑prescription and aftercare instructions for pain or infection
Virtual dentistry allows members to receive a diagnosis from the comfort of their own home. Whether they’re just looking for a quick check-in or have an urgent concern, these teledentistry options can help them meet their needs with all the ease telehealth offers.
1. Members who have 100% coverage for oral evaluations and who have not exceeded their frequency limitations for office visits or limited oral evaluations are eligible to use Toothpic and Virtual Consult. Using Toothpic to receive a diagnostic report or using Virtual Consult for a remote visit each count as one office visit/oral evaluation for the purpose of frequency limitations.